We were so interested to see what scary “foods” would be lurking on this list of foods nutritionist Jessica Sepel will not eat, (AND common, who doesn’t want to know what a nutritionist IS and ISN’T eating…)
The full list of 15 foods is completely on point, but we narrowed it down to our top 6 foods to avoid:
1. Artificial Sweetener – Unfortunately, that sweet taste comes with sugar cravings and increased caloric intake throughout the day.
We love natural alternatives such as stevia and coconut nectar.
2. Breakfast Cereal – avoid this blood sugar-spiking bellyache by making oatmeal at home (or anywhere you can see what is being added to it)
3. Farmed Salmon – lacking nutrients and likely to contain high levels of toxins such as mercury
4. Non-organic Dairy – always avoid dairy from cows treated with growth hormone or antibiotics, going organic is a great way to do so.
We also love almond milk as a delicious dairy-free alternative!
5. Processed Meats – These meats are filled with sodium nitrite (a commonly used preservative and antimicrobial agent that also adds color and flavor)… and don’t forget about this side effect.
Go for grass-fed or organic.
6. Unfermented Soy Products – Non-fermented soy foods (tofu and soy milk) have high phytic acid which blocks zinc, calcium, magnesium and iron absorption. Non-fermented soy can also cause such hormonal problems as hypothyroidism (low thyroid), and can stimulate estrogen in all ages. With fermentation, the phytic acid levels are markedly lessened.
Try to stick to fermented soy products such as tempeh, natto, miso and soy sauce.
Want more? Check out the full list here!