Written by: Samantha Russ
There are many unhealthy ingredients lurking in those “nutritious” energy bars that fill the shelves of your grocery aisles. As mentioned in previous posts, today’s protein bars are loaded with enough trans fat and hydrogenated oils to be considered a Milky Way with processed protein. However, the actual concept of a nutritional supplement is not something to be dismissed. That is why when I saw a recipe for “Glo Bars” in Health and Lifestyle, I decided to modify it for us non-granola, nut-free, coconut lovers.
These gluten-, dairy-free bars will keep your blood sugar stable and help you avoid late night chocolate cravings.
YOUR INGREDIENT LIST:
- 1 1⁄2 cups Enjoy Life Crunchy Flax
- 1/2 cup crushed Lundberg’s brown rice cakes
- 1/4 cup Manitoba Harvest hemp seeds
- 1⁄4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons Nutiva chia seeds
- 1⁄2 cup coconut Nectar
- 1⁄2 Cup Sunbutter
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- Place crunchy flax, crushed rice cakes, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, shredded coconut, chia seeds, cinnamon and salt in large bowl.
- In a small saucepan, put coconut nectar and Sunbutter and bring to slight heat. Stir in vanilla extract and wait until mixture bubbles. (Should happen rather quickly)
- Pour the heated mixture into your large bowl on top of other ingredients, Stir everything together until you feel mixture is sticky and thick enough.
- Move the mixture to a square 9×9 tin cake pan, pat it down to create a flat layer and to make sure everything is stuck together.
- Place square tin in freezer until firm (this could happen in 15 minutes)
- Take square tin out and cut the bars out as you see fit. Either place in plastic wrap or cut mini squares and put in Ziplock bag. You can then place them back in the freezer and enjoy them for the next few weeks.